Monday, February 6, 2012

Literary Monday, 2/6/2012

I am trying a new blog format here, where I have a specific topic for each day of the week.  So today is my first Literary Monday, where I will discuss what I am reading or have just finished reading.  Reading in a wide variety of genres helps me remember books better.  I find if I read a lot of one genre (such as literary fiction), the stories start to blend together, no matter how good a book is. 

Like most people, I get my history and facts from novels, television documentaries, and the Wikipedia.  This past week, I finished Alison Weir's Mary Boleyn, a biography about Mary Boleyn that dispels many of the fictions about Mary from novels like Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Gregory's book, just as I enjoy most historical fiction about romantic or doomed figures.  But as in most novels, the actual historical facts are manipulated to make a better story.  There is nothing wrong with this - that's why it's called fiction.  I plan on devoting another day of the week to facts about maligned or misunderstood historical figures.  The book starts off slow - you have to slog through about 50 pages of background about the Boleyn family, but stay with it. 

The second book that I finished this week was Kathleen Grissom's The Kitchen House, a historical novel about an Irish girl who grows up as an indentured servant (i.e., slave) at a Virginia plantation.  Great characters and description, if not a happy story.  I recommend both of these titles.

Tomorrow:  Missing Tuesday, with a focus on a missing person case

No comments:

Post a Comment